American College of Attorneys Best of the Bar Award
10.0 Avvo Superb Lawyer Rating
Top 100 Trial Lawyers Award
Orlando Top Lawyers 2012 - 2024
Best Lawyers in America Award
Super Lawyers 2024 Award
Florida Legal Elite Award
Best Lawyers 2024 Award
Orlando Sentinel Best Bets Lawyer Award

We Divorced When My Son was Younger, but Now I’d Like to Spend More Time With Him

Video Script Below

My son is now ten years old. We got divorced when he was younger. I now want to spend more time with my child. What do I do, and how do I accomplish that? I’m Steve Kramer. I am a Florida Family Law attorney. Now, if you got divorced when your child was younger, there are a couple of things at play here. One is, the law has changed, alright? Before 2008, there wasn’t exactly the presumption that a 50-50 time-sharing was the way that things should be. And after 2008, that is the presumption: that time-sharing should be 50-50. And the other thing that probably was at play was that your child was a lot younger, and maybe that was taken into consideration in dividing the time. You know, if your child was a baby or breastfeeding, that had to have affected the divorce. And now that your child is older, that is what we call a substantial change in circumstances. And when you have a substantial change in circumstances, what you do is you go into court, and you file what is called a modification. What we are trying to do here is modify visitation so you can spend more time with your child. And so you can take advantage of the new laws and have more time with your child. And the courts want you to have time with your child. They want fathers and mothers to have time with children, and that is why we look at things as a 50-50 split. That’s where we start now. So the key is, get an attorney, get in there, file a modification. You may need to bring in some experts. You may need to bring in a psychiatrist or a psychologist or a counselor or somebody to talk about how this is in the best interest of your child. And we need to get into the court and explain how things have changed. And then, we’ll get you a new time-sharing schedule. And we’ll get you set up on what is called a parenting plan. Which is another change that may have happened since you got divorced before 2008. And a parenting plan really governs how you and your wife or your husband raise a child. Right, it covers – and it can be simple. It can cover very little because you guys get along very well, or it can be very detailed. And the key is crafting one that works for both of you. So, I’m telling you this because I have handled many, many modifications, and I want to see your modification done right. And if you want to sit down together and figure out how we can get more time between you and your child, call me. Pick up the phone. I’d be glad to talk to you. I’m Steve Kramer. Thanks for watching.

Speak with an experienced Florida attorney at our firm today.
Call 855-Kramer-Now (855-572-6376).

Free Case Review

All free case evaluations are reviewed by our legal team. For immediate assistance, please call us at 407-834-4847.

Family Law Information


Make Your Best Decision Today


Schedule your case review so we can help you.



During your consultation we’ll review your options and see if we’re a right fit for you.



If we take on your case, you’ll be represented by the best.

Get Your Free Case Evaluation Today

The Orlando divorce lawyers at TK Law are deeply committed to the individuals and families they serve. We are here to help you resolve each legal concern so you can regain control and move forward with your life. You will also have a steadfast, accomplished advocate in your corner to fight for what matters most if a dispute goes to trial.

We know how overwhelming conflict can be and how painful it is to see a marriage end. We will guide you through this difficult process before, during and after your divorce.

Contact our offices today to schedule a confidential consultation with one or our family law attorneys, or call us at 855-572-6376.



Our best awards are
client victories

Roy P.
Mar. 2024
Read More
Gastell and Kayla were awesome! They helped me make it through a very challenging time in my life with kindness and compassion. They were always available to answer my questions and kept me up to date. Their counsel was extremely helpful in aiding a resolution that I am very satisfied with.
Carmen D.
Mar. 2024
Read More
I give this law firm a 5 star. Ray and Janelise helped us with our probate issue and made the process a lot easier for us to finalized all of it. We're very thankful to this law office and recommend them for any legal issues.Thank you Janelisse and Ray and the entire office .
Alysia T.
Jan. 2024
Read More
I am thankful to Janelise and Kayla at TK Law for a fantastic job. Kayla guided me through every step of my divorce process. She is patient, professional, and honest. I highly recommend them!
Chris O.
Dec. 2023
Read More
This was first experience hiring a law firm and I am very happy that I hired TK Law. My attorney Janelise and Paralegal Kayla were kind, knowledgeable and made the process easy. They were quick to respond when I needed revisions to my document and the final outcome was perfect. If I ever need legal help in the future, I will not hesitate to contact TK Law again.

*Top-rating from clients and award publications such as Orlando Weekly, US News & more.​


Schedule Your Case Evaluation

We offer payment plans, accept credit cards, are available for evening appointments and our main office is conveniently located right off of I-4, between 436 and 434. For immediate help call: 407-834-4847.


The information found here is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any situation or individual case. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


Phone: 407-834-4847
999 Douglas Ave #3333, Altamonte Springs, FL 32714

Service Areas

Orange & Seminole County, Florida.