American College of Attorneys Best of the Bar Award
10.0 Avvo Superb Lawyer Rating
Top 100 Trial Lawyers Award
Orlando Top Lawyers 2012 - 2024
Best Lawyers in America Award
Super Lawyers 2024 Award
Florida Legal Elite Award
Best Lawyers 2024 Award
Orlando Sentinel Best Bets Lawyer Award

My Ex is Not Paying Child Support, Can I Refuse Visitation?

Video Script Below

Your ex isn’t paying child support. Can you refuse to let him see the children? I’m Steve Kramer. I’m a Florida family law attorney and maybe you’re the ex that isn’t paying child support or maybe you’re the mother or father that isn’t receiving child support and I’ve seen this from both sides. But the short answer is child support doesn’t equal visitation. And if you’re not paying child support, you’re not receiving child support you can’t use child support as a negotiating tool or a leverage tool with seeing the children. Parents have to see their children and it doesn’t matter whether you’re paying child support or not. It’s not the way you address it. We don’t use children as poker chips. We don’t use them as bargaining tools. And if that’s the way you want to do things I’m probably not the right attorney for you because I want to make sure the kids are taking care of. I want to make sure the children are protected, they’re usually the victims that are invisible in divorces. They’re the ones that feel the pain and I want to make sure we can protect the children as much as possible. Now the right way to deal with it, if you haven’t paid child support, is to file a motion for contempt. And what is a motion for contempt? That’s basically going in and telling the court that this person violated the court’s order. They didn’t obey the court and asking the court to punish that person. Punish them for not paying child support. And that punishment can be stiff. The court can suspend the driver’s license. The court can do some very nasty things. And one of those things is the court can lock up that person in jail. They can lock up that father or mother who’s not paying child support in jail until they pay and that be a very unpleasant experience. And I’ve seen it happen and I’ve locked people up. So keep that in mind. Now, if you deny the other parent access to the children – you don’t let them visit with the child – then you, yourself can wind up facing a motion for contempt. Because now you’re violating the court’s order and you’re kind of undermining your position, aren’t you? You’re coming into the deal with dirty hands, unclean hands and that’s not the way you want to get paid your support. Because the court is not going to be as sympathetic to you. The better strategy is to do what you’re supposed to do and then to get in there, file a motion for contempt, ask the court to lock up the other party, ask the court for attorney’s fees, ask the court to suspend their driver’s license, ask the court to revoke their professional licenses or whatever licenses they have with the state of Florida (other than the driver’s license). And that’s how you’re going to get a good result in a family case. And if you want to talk about it, pick up the phone. I’d be glad to go over your family case. I’ve seen this stuff happen before. I’ve seen it go every which way. Give me a call. I’m Steve Kramer, thanks for watching.

Speak with an experienced Florida attorney at our firm today.
Call 855-Kramer-Now (855-572-6376).

Free Case Review

All free case evaluations are reviewed by our legal team. For immediate assistance, please call us at 407-834-4847.

Family Law Information


Make Your Best Decision Today


Schedule your case review so we can help you.



During your consultation we’ll review your options and see if we’re a right fit for you.



If we take on your case, you’ll be represented by the best.

Get Your Free Case Evaluation Today

The Orlando divorce lawyers at TK Law are deeply committed to the individuals and families they serve. We are here to help you resolve each legal concern so you can regain control and move forward with your life. You will also have a steadfast, accomplished advocate in your corner to fight for what matters most if a dispute goes to trial.

We know how overwhelming conflict can be and how painful it is to see a marriage end. We will guide you through this difficult process before, during and after your divorce.

Contact our offices today to schedule a confidential consultation with one or our family law attorneys, or call us at 855-572-6376.



Our best awards are
client victories

Roy P.
Mar. 2024
Read More
Gastell and Kayla were awesome! They helped me make it through a very challenging time in my life with kindness and compassion. They were always available to answer my questions and kept me up to date. Their counsel was extremely helpful in aiding a resolution that I am very satisfied with.
Carmen D.
Mar. 2024
Read More
I give this law firm a 5 star. Ray and Janelise helped us with our probate issue and made the process a lot easier for us to finalized all of it. We're very thankful to this law office and recommend them for any legal issues.Thank you Janelisse and Ray and the entire office .
Alysia T.
Jan. 2024
Read More
I am thankful to Janelise and Kayla at TK Law for a fantastic job. Kayla guided me through every step of my divorce process. She is patient, professional, and honest. I highly recommend them!
Chris O.
Dec. 2023
Read More
This was first experience hiring a law firm and I am very happy that I hired TK Law. My attorney Janelise and Paralegal Kayla were kind, knowledgeable and made the process easy. They were quick to respond when I needed revisions to my document and the final outcome was perfect. If I ever need legal help in the future, I will not hesitate to contact TK Law again.

*Top-rating from clients and award publications such as Orlando Weekly, US News & more.​


Schedule Your Case Evaluation

We offer payment plans, accept credit cards, are available for evening appointments and our main office is conveniently located right off of I-4, between 436 and 434. For immediate help call: 407-834-4847.


The information found here is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any situation or individual case. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


Phone: 407-834-4847
999 Douglas Ave #3333, Altamonte Springs, FL 32714

Service Areas

Orange & Seminole County, Florida.